Myofascial Release by John F. Barnes

Todays variety of therapeutic options are virtually unlimited and patients try out several methods throughout many years in order to ease their pains. Unfortunately, the desired results are rarely achieved and when so, they may only last for a few hours, days or weeks at best. The symptoms return and the whole process starts all over again.

Does this sound familiar?

Only when from the beginning the root cause of the symptoms—the pain causing, restricted fascial tissue—is being treated accordingly, can authentic healing occur.

Find out more about this special and highly effective form of treatment.

Johanna Klein with John F. Barnes 2019

Fascia

The fascial system is the biggest system in our body and spreads throughout our body like a three dimensional web. Similar to a spider’s web, it ranges continually from head to toe without interruption.

Fascia is composed of three essential parts

  1. Elastin - the elastic part of the complex serves as tissue memory.

  2. Collagen - these fibres are resilient, tough and lend the structure strength.

  3. Ground substance/Matrix - this gel like component surrounds the elastin and collagen and give them mobility. Furthermore, it transports metabolic material and functions as a cushion.

The fascial system supports, protects, surrounds and is an inseparable element of every structure in our body, including organs, nerves, blood vessels, muscles, bones and every cell!

Myofascial restrictions do not show in any of the standard tests like

X-rays, CAT scans, pyelograms and EMGs, which explains why so many symptoms cannot be explained by traditional medicine.

When fascia is injured

Pain is always a sign—mostly a warning—and should not only be eliminated with medication or the like. Pain is there for a reason—your body is trying to tell you something and you should listen.

In the healthy state, the fascia is relaxed and wavy in configuration and has the ability to stretch and move without restriction.  

When we experience a physical (e.g. injury, inflammation or operation) or emotional trauma, the fascia dehydrates, loses its flexibility and becomes very tight, resulting in scarring, indurations and restrictions. It can put pressure not only onto adjoining pain-sensitive structures, but also on structures in completely different regions of the body (see picture on right). 

Restrictions can produce pressure of approximately 2,000 pounds per square inch upon pain-sensitive structures, creating (chronic) pain or restrictions of motion.

Amongst others, there is the possibility of you having headaches due to a 

rotation of your pelvis or knee pain as a result of shoulder neck tension.

Treatment of fascia

Based on this characteristic of the fascia, in Myofascial Release 

treatments you may be treated in places far from your actual problem. 

Muscles and bones make up only about 20% of our tissue and in order to achieve long-lasting results, we must also address the other 80% of the tissue.

In contrast to muscles, which react quick to stretching and manipulation, fascia needs at least five to seven minutes of gentle, sustained pressure in order to release. During that time, the structural component has time to give, release restriction, softening dehydrated ground substance and 

facilitate physiological chances that assist with authentic healing.

During the treatment, the therapist adapts to each patients natural and individual mechanism, making it a mostly relaxing and unique experience.

With proper treatment, the pain and tensions can be captured and treated at the root of the cause - gently, safely and effectively.

More information on  

Interesting facts about

John F. Barnes Myofascial Release treatment

During the treatment, these positive effects are induced in the body:

Release of the following cells:

  • Interleukin 8                          

(anti - inflammatory cells and anti-cancer cells)

  • Interleukin 3                        (boosts the immune system)

  • Interleukin 1b                   (vasodilation,                                      tissue restoration)

​​

​​

   

          © Johanna Klein

© 2018 by Johanna Klein